Friday, April 23, 2010

Wastage

No, I'm not about to get philosophical here (or maybe I am). But this issue has been stuck in my head since Chinese New Year, and god knows which year did I start to ponder over this issue.

So I guess everyone is familiar with the tradition of getting new clothes during the said festive season. There's 2 things I'm condemning here, one of which is getting too many of the same things and the other being getting rid of perfectly new stuffs.

You see, every Chinese New Year, retailers will exploit the festive mood (exclude me) and there goes everyone (excluding me again) shopping for new clothes for the new Lunar Year. Point is though, how many clothes does an average person needs? I suppose if everyone gets new clothes during Chinese New Year, then won't they have too many clothes to wear? Wastage huh.

That leads to my 2nd point, of which people realised that they have too many clothes and decided to dispose the old ones. And most often these old clothes are perfectly fine, if you can ignore the fading prints, slightly thinner cloth and if you grew slightly fatter or taller, the insufficiency of cloth covering you. But then again, these old clothes still do a pretty decent job of covering what needs to be covered. Enough said.

I, admittedly, fell for this wastage thing too. I just threw away an old pen. Refills were available for that pen, but I just felt that the pen looked a bit of yesteryear, and down the dustbin it went. It was in perfect condition and only needed ink refills, but still I fell for the latest trends and designs.

Nevertheless, call me stingy, philosophical, boring, yesteryear or whatever. But my clothes at home are purchased in 2007 and I'm still wearing them. Bet I'll still be wearing them for the next few years.

No comments: