Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Tiny Tots

Just came back from Camp Forge, and words to describe any part of the camp or me during the camp, or whatsoever, can only be "impatient", "tired", "stressed out", "socked out" and so on. Lesson learnt: If you don't get enough sleep from Day 1, chances are you'll be tired for the rest of the camp.

Problem is, had I had enough sleep, I'll still lose my patience, bark/yell/scream at the cadets, and so on. Okay, I admit, I had a preference for the Nan Hua unit (the guys I mean, the girls are yours Azfar) because they had sense. Common sense. And that sense of discipline, unity and cooperativeness that made my job a hell lot easier. But there always must be that morbidly fat cadet who can't move fast, and yet move around very often after falling in. Wait, he don't even know how to fall in.

Nevermind about that. There's something I observed (and continuing to observe) about the lower secondary school students, especially the Sec 1s. Nothing got to do with NCC. It's just that, those kids, are just getting more and more kiddish. Granted, I was mentally and physically older than a 13 year-old when I was one, but seriously, those Sec 1s are behaving like...toddlers. And I'm not talking about their physical size, I'm referring to the way they think, talk and behave. And to hell with maturing.

And then there are some who are no better than dogs. No, before anyone accuse and charge me of slander, let me first explain. Because, in all honesty, there are some unruly children (or cadets, or students, or whatever) who are so uncooperative, who doesn't listen to instructions and instead defy them, and it makes me feel that I'd rather give instructions to a dog. Seriously, a dog is a man's best friend - it listens to instructions faithfully, but these group of cadets...epic.

Anyway it's back to school for me tomorrow, most probably going to sleep through all the lectures and tutorials. And then worse, tests for the next few days and weeks. Maybe I should go back to the days when I was a tiny tot (or maybe not. No please don't imagine me as a toddler or something!)

No comments: